The 'Special Section' was founded in 1921 one year before the' Flying Squad' of New Scotland Yard. They operated from Police Headquarters,
Hardman Street, Liverpool.
All members of the Special Section were experienced detectives, who relied on informants, to control and detect criminals in the City of Liverpool. They were also used to back up Divisions and neighbouring Police Forces that were enquiring into major crimes.
They were the forerunner of Crime Squads. By the 1950's members of the Special Section decided that they should be called, 'Flying Squad' and used the term when photographs were taken of them. However, the Chief Constable did not change the name and they remained as, the 'Special Section'.
By the early 1960's 'Crime Squads' were coming on line; there was the South West Lancashire Crime Squad stationed at Kirkby.
In 1965 the 'Regional Crime Squad' (RCS) was formed and stationed at Hardman Street. The 'Special Section' was then disbanded. They (RCS) later moved to St. Anne Street Police Station.
They remained in St. Anne Street Police Station until 1977 when they moved to Admiral Street Police Station.