Prescot Street Police Bridewell and Fire Station is situated on Prescot Street opposite the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool. The building fronts Prescot Street with Prospect Street to the rear and Harper Street to the east. It is a purpose built building and records show that it was purchased by Liverpool Constabulary in 1853, possibly meaning that the building existed prior to purchase. In those days Liverpool was not the large city it is today and its boundary with the County of Lancashire was very close to the city centre. It is therefore possible that the station was used by Lancashire Police prior to 1853 but this can not be confirmed and research is ongoing.
The building was extended by the purchase of additional land in 1899, resulting in the building of a house for the Divisional Superintendent, enlarged charge office and parade room. The station ceased to be used as a Fire Station in 1921 and it became a Divisional Headquarters and Bridewell ("B" Division, Liverpool City Police).
On the formation of Liverpool & Bootle ConstabularyÂ in 1967 its cell area closed and the cells used for storage. It became a sub-station of the then "G" Division, with Eaton Road Bridewell being the Headquarters. The station remained open with its Enquiry Office and the Police Band used the parade room for band practice on a regular basis. Other stations in "G" Division at that time were Derby Lane Bridewell, Old Swan and Tuebrook Bridewell on West Derby Road.
Prescot Street closed in 1971/2 and lay unoccupied until 1976 when it was occupied by a group of local artists and became established as Bridewell Studios. Since that year the interior of the building has not changed considerably and still shows the remnants of it being an operational police station.
In 2007 the building was given a Grade 2 listing.
We thank Karen Edwards of Bridewell StudiosÂ for allowing us to photograph the interior of the building on 09/05/2012